The fight for pay, pensions and job security continued today with a fifth day of strike action in Manchester, leafleting around the UK – and more leafleting at Fujitsu Forum in Munich.
We are already hearing examples of customers being impacted by the industrial action, but Fujitsu’s senior management are still choosing to prioritise corporate greed over customer service, the staff who generate their profits, or social responsibility.
Our strike continues to get considerable media coverage, from Key 103 local radio to ITV to The Register. It is encouraging that Fujitsu management are being forced to respond to media questions about some of the issues in our dispute. Sooner or later they are going to have to respond to their workforce and make a sensible offer to resolve the dispute.
Strikers also continued ringing colleagues around the UK about the “Don’t be Fujitsu Voice-less” campaign, while others visited other workplaces and union meetings to raise support.
The next steps are:
- Members should return their strike pay forms – all the details were emailed out on Monday afternoon titled “Strike Wed & Thu. Getting your strike pay promptly”
- “T-shirt Friday” tomorrow – back at work – if you’ve not got a campaign t-shirt already, please contact your rep
- The action short of strike continues in Manchester – including the refusal to complete time recording or forecasting
- At 12:30 on Monday lunchtime Unite members across the UK are having a call to discuss the 1800 job cuts and the union’s response
- At 2-3:30pm on Wednesday Manchester members will be having a members’ meeting to discuss the job cuts and decide on what further action to take to win the dispute
- Meanwhile members are continuing to take the campaign to a wide variety of events to put pressure on the company and to raise support to sustain us
The support we are receiving is inspiring – from the hoots of passing traffic to messages and money from individuals and organisations across the labour movement and beyond. If you want to support the strike financially all the details are here.