Industrial action ballot result – Fujitsu Services Limited, Manchester bargaining unit
Thanks to everyone who voted in the industrial action ballot. The official announcement of the result is here on the intranet. In summary:
Are you prepared to take part in strike action? Yes 54.9%, No 45.1%, Spoilt papers 0
Are you prepared to take part in industrial action short of a strike? Yes 71.8%, No 28.2%, Spoilt papers 0
This is a clear result in favour of both strike action and action short of strike. The turnout was very good given the disruption caused by the Christmas holidays.
Fujitsu has already dismissed three of the six members who are fighting against compulsory redundancy. On Tuesday, while he was on compassionate leave for a family funeral, Fujitsu sent Ian Allinson a letter telling him that he will be dismissed this Friday (12 January) after more than 30 years’ service, including 26 as a union rep. Despite having an outstanding internal job application which Fujitsu has not responded to, the company is not allowing Ian to work his notice.
Given that the fight for the six jobs is not over, Ian is not organising a leaving do, but would welcome members joining him for a drink at Sunday’s solidarity gig:
Unite members at Mears / Manchester Working are striking over pay each Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri after continuous strikes over Xmas. They have organised a “band aid do” musical fundraiser 2-8pm on Sunday 14 Jan (Facebook event) at the White House Club, 193 Middleton Road, Crumpsall, M8 4JZ. This is right by the Bowker Vale Metrolink stop.
There will also be a show of support as Ian leaves site, gathering outside the front of Central Park at 1pm on Friday. (Facebook event)
Following the ballot result Unite has issued notice of industrial action in line with strike dates selected by reps in line with the decisions of the recent members’ meeting.
We are fighting over:
- Compulsory redundancies
- Victimisation of union reps
- Breaches of redundancy agreement, including appeals and grievance procedures
Unite has called on members employed by Fujitsu Services Limited in the Manchester Bargaining Unit to take the following action:
Discontinuous strike action:
- From 00:01 on Wednesday 24th January 2018 to 23:59 on 26th January 2018
- From 00:01 on Tuesday 30th January 2018 a 24 hour stoppage
- From 00:01 on Thursday 8th February 2018 to 23:59 on 14th February 2018
From 00:01 on Wednesday 24th January 2018 to 23:59 on 17th April 2018, continuous action short of strike consisting of:
- refusal to cooperate with, or participate in projects to move work offshore, including knowledge transfer
- refusal to undertake time recording (eg SST) or forecasting (eg MyTime)
- Work to Rule/Withdrawal of Goodwill consisting of refusal to undertake tasks which fall outside of the specific tasks listed in members’ job descriptions
All employees in the bargaining unit are entitled to participate in the action, whether or not they are members, and irrespective of if or how they voted in the ballot.
For more information see our Q&A on the dispute. Look out for emails with further details of arrangements for strike days – participation will be key.